Introduction to the Written Pattern

 Hey there again...

As you can guess from that title of this post, we are going to collectively go over the world of the written pattern. I'd be remiss in not mentioning everyone has their own creative process when it comes to crochet pattern writing. Pattern writing itself is the involved process of creating something from scratch. Kind of like coming up with a recipe, but with a yarn and hook. Please note a written pattern is the most basic of instructions on how to make something. This is not a TUTORIAL. It will have the bare bones of how to create something. It is up to the individual and their skills to bring it alive.

Why is this Important?

I've been part of the fiber arts community for a bit now. One thing I've noticed is most aren't proficient in the skill of reading an actual written pattern. Yes! This is an important skill to have as tutorials aren't always available for every pattern that is written. It, also, isn't right to demand a designer to make a tutorial because you lack the skill to follow written words. 

Parts of the Written Pattern

The Introduction to the Pattern 

Most patterns contain basic parts like intro, finished product photo, hook, fiber, and abbreviations. Some even add important notes or basic special notes for rarely used stitches that may be in the pattern i.e. bobble stitch. 

Here's an example of how my Hanging Towel Crochet Pattern is setup. Notice I have a basic cover with photo that includes a little blurb about the pattern. The next page is all about the things you may need to know how to construct the pattern...the ingredients needed.


The Pattern Itself

You have the ingredients. Now, is the body of the pattern or the instructions. This is the bulk of any written pattern. Typically, this is the creativity shining through for that designer. Individual designers have a process just like an author typing up their next best seller. Each designer has their favorite fonts and general layout of the written work. With that being said, there is a uniformity that goes into the bulk of the pattern. Abbreviations, instructions, stitch counts are part of that uniformity. 

For example:
MR with 6 sc (6)
Inc (12)
Sc, inc (18)

Or 

Create a slip knot. Ch 49. In the 2nd ch from the hook, place a sc. Place a SC across the remaining chs... (48).

Although these are only examples, pattern language may vary, but the intent of what to do is there. It is up to the individual making the pattern to interpret these steps correctly. There are times when it might not be clear, but it isn't something I see frequently.

Other Parts of the Pattern

Once the pattern is complete. Some designers do add assembly directions with photos and diagrams. I do see photos in parts that may be a little tricky or not a widely used technique. More recent patterns also include tester appreciation pages.

What I don't do as a Designer and Why...

As I said, each designer has their own creative way and recipe to create a finished make. There are a few things I don't include in my patterns.

-I don't include finite measurements or placements. I do this for a few reasons. The first is tension. We all have a different tension. The way we hold the yarn is different. My tension depends on the material and hook used. It depends on the time of day I may have designed the pattern. I have a pre stroke and post stroke tension. I held tension a little tighter pre stroke. Since my stroke, I've had to adjust due to left side weakness making my tension looser. I, also, use a variety of different hooks and materials. As a designer, I can't take on account for everyone. I design my patterns as general guidelines, and not specific to one person or group of people. If you know your own tension, you can adjust as you need to. If you crochet tightly, the general guidelines is to move up a hook size or two to make even chains and stitches. The opposite is true for some who may crochet loosely. For some things I add a general descriptor word.. snack size, large, long, short, etc. in the Introduction to the pattern. If I ever design and put out a wearable, that will be the exception.

-I don't always add the colors I use or exact brand but there are there in the parentheses for the most part. Fibers , even name brands, are not all the same anymore. More times than not I've lost the label or I just want people to creatively use their own colors. It almost seems people are just using the same exact patterns and colors as the designer. Be bold, be different. Changing the color from the designer isn't modifying the pattern. Let your creative personality through. 

-People intentionally or unintentionally modify the pattern. I guess it should be common knowledge to most if you change the hook size and change the fiber use then it will alter the final outcome. As a designer, I'm not taking that into account. I would have to make a million different samples to accommodate everyone. Since I've done this for a bit now, I understand how most fibers work without working them up. I deliberately choose the specific fiber for a reason in my patterns 

-I don't make video tutorials as a choice. Writing patterns is enough for me. As a designer, I take great pains to make my patterns as user friendly for newcomers to advanced crocheters. I'm not teaching anyone to crochet. The responsibilities of learning is up to the individual and and them having an accurate awareness of their own skills. That's not to say if someone has a problem that I won't help. I will gladly help if I can, but some try to attempt things that are out of their skill level.

To Recap

The interpretation and understanding of a written pattern is a skill. A skill just like holding the yarn correctly or choosing the right fiber for a project. It takes practice and development. Some may get it right away and others may take a little more time. 

Written patterns are instructions. They are not a TUTORIAL. How a pattern designer works is individual to them just as it is to the maker. I think many are trying to completely replicate the designer. We are not the same. We are all individuals on our own journey and skill level.

Not recognizing a pattern may be not on par to your skill level. That isn't to say not to challenge yourself. It's recognizing and not blaming the designer or saying a pattern is bad because you don't get it 

Read the patterns before you begin. The whole pattern from start to end. I had someone, recently, reach out to me for help on a pattern. They didn't know the difference between a round and a row. They didn't realize fiber matters for certain types of patterns. Reading the pattern helps decrease stress and giving up on a project midway to completion.

Finally, take a breath. Take breaks and start small. This really can be a fun hobby. If you choose to make it a business, educate yourself before diving in. Know it won't be successful at first. Crochet teaches you time and patience.  

Thanks for reading and stopping by. If you want to leave a comment, please remember to be respectful of all others. If you came here to argue...just don't. All points of view are welcome.





Comments

Popular Posts